When you don’t hear a phone call or music through your headphones, there might be an issue with your Iphone headphone jack. Maybe your Iphone headphone jack is broken. If you cannot hear any sound coming from your headset it might be a hardware problem. Here’s how to fix the iPhone headphone jack worth checking before getting a new one or going to an Apple repair store.
Try using different headphones
If you think that your iPhone headphone jack is broken, try using a different headphone first. If this works that means that it is your headphone that’s broken not your iPhone headphone jack and this is good news as headphones are way cheaper than fixing a broken iPhone headphone jack.
Try using another headphone that you know is working, try making calls, using SIRI, and listen to music. If it works then your problem is the headphones, not the headphone jack.
However, if the problem persist, try using both of the headphones to another phone and see if it works.
Proceed with Headphone jack cleaning
We usually put our phone on our pocket or bags and with this the headphone jack gets filled with dust and small grains these build up and block the connection between headphones and jack. If this is the case you can do the following.
- Check the headphone jack for dust or lint. You might need a light to check and have a good look.
- If you find that there’s an accumulation of dirt on your headphone jack, trying blowing it or use compressed air. We strongly suggest using compressed air as it doesn’t have moisture, unlike your breath. Hopefully, this will be enough to remove the build-up on the jack.
- If using compressed air didn’t do the trick, try using a cotton swab. Make sure to remove as much cotton as possible and then put a tiny rubbing alcohol. Clean it gently by pulling it in and out making sure you are taking any dirt or lint out.
- If this didn’t work out, or you don’t have a cotton swab, try using a paperclip. Wrap some tape around one end and make sure it is not too thick making it larger than the headphone jack. Insert the end with a tape and twist it a couple of times. Gently pull it out, dispose of any debris, and repeat as necessary.
Once it is clean try it and see if it is working. If this steps does not fix the problem it might have something to do with the software.
Restart your Iphone
Once you are done following the steps in fixing iphone headphone jack, you can try to restart your phone for a software refresh. Restarting your Iphone usually solves a lot of issue with the phone, though this sound like unrelated with the headphone jack. Restarting the phone will clear your Iphone’s active memory which could be the source of the problem.
- a. Press the Power button and the volume buttons simultaneously
- b. move the slider from left to right on your screen
- c. wait for your iPhone to turn off.
- d. Press and hold the power button until the Apple Logo appears.
If doing this the phone does not restart, you might need to do a hard restart. This process depends on what model of Iphone you currently have. If doing all these does not resolve your issue follow the next step.
Checking the AirPlay Output
Your Iphone is usually automatically recognize once your plugged in and switch any audio to them. However, sometimes when you were connected to an airpods or other Air-play compatible speacker it does not automatically transfer to a headphone when you connect it.
- a. Slide up from the bottom of your phone screen to open Control Center and for the newer version of iPhone, you have to swipe down from the top right corner.
- b. Press the Airplay button on the top right of the Control Center to reveal the output of the available source.
- c. Press the headphone
- d. Press the home button or swipe up to dismiss Control Center.
Once you completely changed the settings, your audio should be going to your headphones or the Iphone’s speaker. If still you the issue persist check other settings.
The same thing will happen over Bluetooth, just like audio can be sent to other devices over AirPlay. If you have connected your Iphone to a Bluetooth device before it is possible that your audio is still going there. And, the simplest way to check this is to:
- a. Open Control Center
- b. Press the Bluetooth icon in the top-left group of icons so that it is not highlighted. This will disconnect any device connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth.
- c. Try using your headphones now. And, now with the Bluetooth off, your audio should be going to your headphones directly.
If the following steps didn’t fix the issue, you should be looking on how to fix Iphone headphone jack.
Headphone Jack is totally broken, here’s what you should do.
When every step of the fix provided above fails, you should get your headphone jack check by a professional.
If you have a bit of tech knowledge you can probably do this yourself but we strongly advised against it. Aside from the warranty issue, Iphone is a bit of complete and delicate device.
The best way to deal with it is go to an Apple store to have it fix. You can start by checking your Iphone’s warranty status to see if the repair can be covered then you can set up an appointment with the Geniue Bar. However, if this is too much for you maybe it is time to get the latest Iphone and leave the world of wired headphones behind.
Want to Become A Cellphone Seller?
- Cellphone Retailer Tip: Ways To Help Increase Online Sales
- How to Start a Cell Phone Business The Right Way!
- Why People Keep Buying iPhones And Why iPhone Reselling Is Easy?
- Why Android Phones Are More Popular than iPhone Devices?
- How to Troubleshoot Business Phone Line if it’s Not Working
- Buy Phones in Bulk, Start Selling Phones Today!